Thursday, February 12, 2015

What's Wrong With the Playstation Vita

I bought a Playstation Vita last May, the one with the Borderlands 2 bundled in. It initially WOW'ed me but after a few months, I see a flaw in Sony's approach on that specific console and why gamers are giving it much heat.

It's not that the hardware isn't great, because it's the best hardware by far for a dedicated mobile gaming device. The problem is on the games being released on it.

One of the reason I bought the Vita is because I have grown tired of casual games on mobile phones. Thousands and thousands of games for people that gets distracted easily, games that lack a deep story and hours and hours gameplay. Is it any wonder that I don't have any games on my phone? Casual games are addicting but after a while you feel like a dog chasing its tail.

So there I was, with my Vita in hand last December, checking out new games and my Playstation Plus free games of the month, and all there are are mini games. New games for every week and 99.9% of them are casual games.

That's what's wrong with the Vita, it has become an extension of Mobile phones. Another platform for casual games because smartphones are not enough. Hundreds and hundreds of games and 99.9% of them are not worth the time and effort I invested buying the goddamn Vita.

Another problem, and I think it applies to any online store that sells digital content, is that even if there are great games worth the time and money, it is being buried by hundreds of new crappy games being released weekly.

Sony, be selective, for chrissake. Accepting any games that want to join in on the Vita bandwagon and praising its "unique style and gameplay" is not how you win gamers.

I certainly did not buy my Vita to play freaking mini games.

No comments:

Post a Comment