Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Student Life

Since I breached the topic of High School, I might as well tell you how I am as a Student.

Elementary

Let's skip Pre-school, because I completely don't remember if I attended one or not. But I probably didn't because we weren't as well to do then as we did now, to put it lightly.

As an Elementary student, I was a nobody, a wallflower. Chances are none of my classmates remembers me because I surely don't remember them. Well, I haven't really forgotten all, I do remember bits and pieces like being forced to perform in a group on the school's foundation day and participating in class because the teacher mildly hinted that I might fail the subject if I don't participate. So yeah, I might have remembered the bad parts and completely forgotten everything else, what can I say, I was a ghost in Elementary school. As far as I know, the school still exist albeit in a different name. I heard they installed a pool a year after I graduated.

High School

This was the period where I was thrust into the spotlight and where I was finally figuring out what I was. I was Class President on my first year, although honestly, I have no idea why I was even picked. I did not know anyone and they surely did not know me. 

Then the next year I changed schools and stayed there for the duration of my High School life.

Honestly, It was fun. 

I was surrounded by puberty and raging hormones. Adults that say kids today talk too much about sex have obviously forgotten their HS life. It was rampart then as it is now.

Of course, not me included. It was hard to get a semblance of an early sex life if you have a few idiosyncrasies and romanticized thinking about sex. OK, Talking about sex might be the wrong starter topic when talking about High School, specially since I didn't get any, thankful for that though. Let's back up for a bit.

I was either number 2 or 3 in class. My Science Teacher insisted that I might have stayed on 2 if only I have kept a notebook. Yep, never kept a notebook. Earlier in my HS life, I realized listening to the teacher beats taking notes why they talk, although there was this time I sat down one night and copied 30 or so pages from my textbook so that I have something to show my teacher the next day. Yep, filled a blank notebook in one night.

From time to time, this one classmate gets to take my place as number 2, smart enough dude, skipped a couple of years in Elementary for being smart. We we're friendly enough but I think he was competing with me for the number 2 spot, it was a one-sided competition, though. If you know me well enough, you know I don't care how other people are doing and it does not affect my work.

I joined a few poetry writing competition during school events, proud enough to say I've always taken first place but I never attended the awarding ceremonies. Never, Assholes! *Evil laugh*

Sorry... er... being the center of attention wasn't really my thing, then and now. They did manage to get me upstage once when they changed the time of awarding to a regular school day when I was (cruelly) expecting the regular flag ceremony. My classmates endearingly boo'ed me as I approached the stage. No, my class likes me, they just want to embarrass me more that I already was. It was fun, I guess.

College

I was unprepared. No one discussed College life to me, no one told me what to expect in college, no one told me the subtle importance this time on my life was to my future. I was like going to war unarmed and naked. I promised to never make that mistake once I become a parent. I was a wreck, temptations surrounding the campus. It was also the time where Ragnarok Online entered the scene and completely screwed College for me. There was this one Subject where I did well, though. I got a highest score any student could ever get on a subject. It was a mixture of Psychology and Philosophy, I was doing great that most of the exam questionnaires was taken from what I said. I had my moments when I took the time to attend classes, but it was few and rare in between.

I had to drop out and was able to resume College when I was older and fully comprehend what College really meant. On round 2, I was fully dedicated. I was hungry to learn and finish it.

And I did. I learned, I hungered and I was fed. I devoured all the knowledge they can give and sought elsewhere when it was insufficient. I was the ideal student, and at times the bane of the school administration. I had to transfer classes a few times because I felt the professor incompetent and unable to impart his knowledge. I had to explain to the School Administration why I wished to change classes and arguments often ensued. I, of course, won. It was my right to choose and I was assigned to a more senior professor where I learned a lot. 

The senior Professor I got was said to rarely give a high grade. I was told that I was the 3rd ever in his teaching career to receive a high grade. Something I was definitely proud of, Programming was a complicated subject. I was supposed to be a candidate to receive honors on graduation, but unfortunately, transferees aren't eligible for awards.

And I did not attend the graduation ceremony. Never, Assholes! *Evil laugh*

Nah, I was working by then.

So here it is, my student life in summary. Though my life as an actual student may be over, I am always learning something new. Education is not something you tie to a diploma or to an establishment. Learning is something you never stop doing till the day you breathe your last breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment