Tuesday, February 10, 2015

On Reading A Song of Ice and Fire

I read GRRM's phenomenal A song of Ice and Fire series way before it became an HBO show, one of my proud accomplishments as a book lover. That accomplishment made the TV show boring, condensed and all about boobs. 

I have to admit though that some of the TV cast was great in portraying their characters that it mattered little that they look different from the book; Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, and Charles Dance as Tywin, for example. Some, like Emilia Clarke, needed some warming up; Every time I have a negative criticism about Clarke's acting, she has managed to improve upon it on the next season, to the point that I can't find anymore fault on the 4th. I don't understand why Kit Harington is popular, I just don't see Jon Snow in him.

Ah, I think I've talked too much about the show after commenting on it being boringly short and too much sex. I guess both have merits, but the book still stands the higher ground.. a much higher ground.

Back to book rambling. 

I would not have tried the book series if it was not for GRRM's exceptional vampire story, Fevre Dream. I discovered it at the time where Twilight was the fad, to my frustration, and I've given up finding original vampire mythos, the has story has just been recycled too much. 

Fevre Dream WOW'ed me considerably that I took a gamble and bought Volume one to four in one go. I remember reading A Game Of Thrones' first chapters with the voice of Dillos, narrator in the film 300, and it was an awesome inner voice, you should try it.

I'm talking about ASoIaF because I've recently re-read A Game Of Thrones and currently re-reading A Clash Of Kings as a refresher,in high hopes that The Winds Of Winter will be released this year. Sadly, that will not be the case, the 6th volume will not be released this year so I've paused reading Clash, and will resume once I've got positive news on Winds' release, hopefully, soon. I love the series, but I have plenty more unread books and little time to read ASoIaF three times.

Don't worry, GRRM, I still love you. I have my fingers crossed for 2016.


Currently reading: Die Trying by Lee Child

No comments:

Post a Comment